Occasionally, erroneous electronic payments may be processed through the Pay.gov system – for example, if payment is made in the wrong case, or if a duplicate payment is processed due to the e-filer using the browser’s back button and submitting the same transaction twice. If the court’s

Finance Department staff discovers a duplicate payment immediately upon filing, they may issue a refund (Credit Card payments only) or cancellation (ACH payments only) of the duplicate fee without any further action required by the e-filer. However, if an erroneous payment is discovered after the Pay.gov transaction has been posted (fully processed); the attorney e-filer must file a “Request for Refund” in CM/ECF. Please see the court’s Electronic Payments Procedure Guide for more information.

Posted in: PayGov FAQs